A diagnosis that requires surgery on your heart, lungs or another structure in your chest can feel incredibly overwhelming. But our innovative and compassionate team of providers is here to walk you through a highly individualized treatment plan designed to improve your quality of life.
Methodist is home to a distinguished three-star rated cardiothoracic surgery program, denoting the highest quality of care and outcomes across the nation. Our nationally respected team of providers has access to some of the most advanced diagnostic and treatment options in the region. They are true leaders in their field, using the most innovative techniques to perform complex operations with the goal of getting patients back to doing the things they love.
Cardiac surgery involves the heart and thoracic aorta.
Our highly skilled team of experts is able to diagnose and treat a multitude of cardiac diseases and defects, including:
- Valvular disease
- Coronary artery disease
- Aortic aneurysm
In addition to complex cardiac procedures, Methodist’s cardiothoracic surgeons are specially trained on a variety of minimally-invasive approaches. They specialize in:
- Aortic reconstruction
- Valve preservation
- Beating-heart coronary surgery
- Percutaneous (incisionless) options for cardiac issues
Thoracic surgery involves organs and structures in the thorax (chest), including the:
- Other structures in the chest located between the lungs (mediastinum)
Our skilled surgeons specialize in the diagnosing and treatment of a number of diseases and conditions, including:
- Lung cancer and nodules
- Thymus disease
- Other masses and cancers of the chest
Methodist’s board-certified cardiothoracic team offers a variety of treatment options, including:
- Chest wall reconstruction
- Rib and sternum plating
- Chest wall tumor resection
- Minimally-invasive video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS).
For more information, or if you think you may be a candidate for cardiothoracic surgery, talk to your primary care provider or cardiologist today.
Awards and accreditations
Recognized for creating better care and better outcomes
- American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer accreditation
- Lung Cancer Screening Alliance Screening Center of Excellence
- U.S. News & World Report High-Performing Hospital for heart bypass surgery
Cardiothoracic Surgery at Methodist Jennie Edmundson Hospital
933 E. Pierce St., Suite 306
Council Bluffs, IA 51503