Facebook Twitter Youtube

About Methodist Hospital

With more than 2,000 full-time employees and over 400 physicians on active staff, Methodist Hospital has a tradition of providing quality health care to the region in cardiovascular surgery, neurosurgery, women’s services, cancer care, gastroenterology, orthopedics, and comprehensive diagnostic services.

Founded in 1891 by members of the Methodist Church in Omaha, Nebraska Methodist Hospital, is a not-for-profit, 423-bed acute care hospital serving the metropolitan-Omaha area.

Nebraska Methodist Hospital admits approximately 22,000 patients every year. It was the first hospital in Nebraska to earn Magnet designation for nursing excellence from the American Nurses Credentialing Center.

The hospital moved to its current location in 1968 upon completion of a nine-story tower near the intersection of 84th Street and West Dodge Road. A second tower, completed in 1981, provided additional space for Methodist Hospital while providing a home for Children’s Hospital.

In 1991, a 55,500 square-foot addition to the south of the hospital was added to house the Methodist Estabrook Cancer Center and its outpatient surgery center. An additional 20,400 square feet were added in 2004 to house two new linear accelerators, as well as the areas only Leksellâ Gamma Knife®. Another 25,300 feet of space were added to the Cancer Center in 2006 for expanded physician offices and support services for cancer patients.

The new millennium saw Methodist Hospital cut the ribbon on a new three-story, $17 million state-of-the-art ambulatory care center near 162nd and West Dodge Road. Patients at Methodist HealthWest were among the first in the region to benefit from a high-tech networking system that immediately transfers filmless digital x-ray images between medical facilities for faster diagnosis and treatment.

In February 2011, Nebraska Methodist Hospital opened The Pathology Center – Schenken Pavilion on the 84th Street campus. Named for two legendary Methodist Hospital pathologists, John R. “Rudy” Schenken, MD, FCAP, and his son, Jerald R. “Jerry” Schenken, MD, FCAP, the $22 million, 42,000-square-foot laboratory is a center of excellence for pathology, serving individuals, physicians, clinics and hospitals in a three-state area.