Methodist Jennie Edmundson Hospital
Inpatient Behavioral Health Services at Methodist Jennie Edmundson Hospital in Council Bluffs, Iowa, are designed to help people who are experiencing an acute psychiatric crisis which may include:
- symptoms of anxiety or depression
- mania, or an altered thought process
- risk for self-harm or harm to others
Situated within the hospital, Methodist Jennie Edmundson Hospital’s Psychiatric Services provide comprehensive assessment and treatment for adults age 18 and over.
This 20-bed secure unit within the hospital provides 24-hour nursing care as well as co-occurring treatment for Omaha, Council Bluffs and the surrounding Iowa communities.
Our Focus Is Safety and Healing
Our inpatient psychiatric hospitalization program involves:
- stabilizing the crisis that led to the hospitalization
- providing a thorough evaluation
- developing an individualized treatment plan
- coordinating care in a warm, supportive, and safe environment.
- short-term acute inpatient psychiatric treatment for individuals 18 years and older
- co-occurring treatment (dual diagnosis) for individuals with a substance abuse/chemical dependency problem who are also experiencing a psychiatric disorder
- inpatient chemical dependency evaluations
- individual and group therapy
- medication stabilization and management
- ECT for psychiatric conditions not responding to medications
- occupational therapy
- discharge and aftercare planning
| ||S.P. Sattar, MD|
Dr. Sattar received his degree from Dow Medical College in Pakistan and completed his psychiatry residency at Wayne State University in Detroit. He then completed three fellowships: Psychoanalysis at the Michigan Psychoanalytic Institute, forensic psychiatry at University of Massachusetts Medical School and Harvard Medical and School; and addition psychiatry at Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
We offers board certified physicians who have experience in adult psychiatry and co-occurring disorders. Other members of our team include:
- social worker
- CADC (Certified Alcohol\ Drug Counselor)
- occupational therapist
- a team of qualified and caring mental health nurses.
Licensure, Accreditation and Insurance Coverage
Referrals may be made by physicians, psychologists, social workers, mental health professionals, family members, friends, or self. The decision regarding admission is made by a psychiatrist and all information is completely confidential.
Patients who are admitted may have one of the following:
- Suicidal thoughts (e.g., depression with feelings of hopelessness)
- Suicidal attempts, thoughts or plans
- Homicidal thoughts with poor impulse control
- Psychiatric symptoms severe enough to cause bizarre, disordered behavior
- Acute worsening of chronic symptoms
We accept most insurance, including Medicaid and Medicare.
For more information, call:
Methodist Jennie Edmundson Hospital, Psychiatric Services
933 E. Pierce St.
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
(712) 396-6044 (24-hour emergency line)
Methodist Jennie Edmundson Hospital Psychiatric services also provides community education services. If you would like to book a presentation on mental health for your organization or health fair, call (712) 396-7703 or e-mail JEHpsych@nmhs.org.