Methodist Health System Services
A tender option for your and your baby
We are pleased to offer you the opportunity to enjoy rooming-in with your baby up to 24 hours a day.
Studies show that mothers and babies benefit when they can spend as much time as possible together after birth, especially at night.
These precious moments, shared in as homelike an environment as possible, are a healthy and positive way to begin your new life together.
Benefits of unlimited time together with your baby include:
- The tender comfort your baby receives from your voice, smell and touch.
- Quicker stabilization of your baby's temperature, heart rate and breathing immediately after birth.
- Stronger bonding and attachment between you and your baby.
- Greater self-confidence as you learn to recognize and respond to your baby's needs while a nurse is nearby to assist you.
- More sleep time for your baby and more restful sleep for both of you.
- Opportunity to breastfeed sooner, longer and more successfully.
- Greater milk intake, more complete hunger satisfaction and healthier weight gain for your baby.
Your care team can help you and baby rest by:
- Coordinating care around your need for test.
- Placing a "Do Not Distrub" sign on your door.
- Helping you place a temporary hold on incoming phone calls.(Dial *69 to hold calls. To cancel this feature, dial *70)
- Screening visitors upon request.
If you breastfeed, by keeping your baby with you at night, you are more likely to:
- Breastfeed sooner, longer and more successfully.
- Develop good milk production from the start.
- Satisfy your baby's hunger faster and more completely.
- Lessen the effects of painful engorgement.
- Enjoy restful sleep, even though babies breastfeed more throughout the night.
We make it easy to share this special time with friends and loved ones, and how much you choose to accept visitors is really up to you.
Here are a few tips to minimize interruptions and make visits a pleasant part of your stay:
Dads, siblings, friends and family
Front desk check in
Just tell your nurse if at any time you prefer not to have visitors.
Unit "nap time"
Turn off incoming calls
Callers will hear a message that you are unable to take the call and to please call back later. To cancel this feature, dial *70.