Methodist Health System Services
Preparing for Labor
The big day is approaching. Here's how to get ready.
Learning about labor and delivery, and what to expect will help you prepare for this next step of your pregnancy.
Childbirth education classes and activities
Find a physician for your new baby
Babies can be seen by a pediatrician, a physician who specializes in the care of children, or by a family practice provider, a physician who cares for the entire family.
Create a birth plan
Your birth plan may include:
- How you would like the sex of your baby announced.
- The baby's name, if already decided.
- Lighting and sound levels in the labor room.
- Birthing assistance you prefer. (birthing bars, birthing balls, massage, jacuzzi)
- Type of hydration you prefer (IV, ice chips)
- Type of pain medication, and how it should be offered.
- Fetal monitoring
- Breast or bottle-feeding
- Circumcision of male baby