Methodist Health System Services
Methodist Jennie Edmundson Lactation Services
We are here to help you make feeding your baby a fulfilling and positive experience.
Rest assured that a mother's milk has all the nutrition needed to keep a baby healthy, and only very rarely is there a medical or physical reason that a woman cannot breastfeed her baby.
You and your baby can enjoy the many benefits of breastfeeding, including a very close and special mother-baby relationship.
Specialized one-on-one care to help new mothers.
Lactation consultants can assist in many ways, including:
- Knowing if your baby is getting enough milk.
- Teaching how to nurse multiples or babies with special needs.
- Training to pump and store milk safely.
- Evaluating breast pain or infections.
After discharge, expect a follow-up a phone call from our lactation consultant periodically throughout your breastfeeding experience.
You may also e-mail your questions about breastfeeding. You will receive a reply within 48 hours.
Methodist Jennie Edmundson Is Milk Depot Location
- they are hospitalized, premature or adopted
- mom has insufficient milk supply or is unable to breastfeed
Milk donors must:
- be non-smokers
- not take certain medications
- not have consumed alcohol within 12 hours of pumping
Milk donors are carefully screened at no cost. If you are interested in participating, please contact Mother's Milk Bank of Iowa to receive your starter kit.
Provides education and reassurance to new mothers with babies ages newborn to 12 months.
Additional Information About Feeding
- Read our tips for feeding your baby.
- Learn about the benefits of breastfeeding.
- Pacifiers are not recommended while establishing breastfeeding.
- Making sure your breastfed baby is getting enough milk.
- Read the essay about "Baby's Second Night" for handling common concerns.
- Bottle-feeding your baby.
- Make an informed decision about supplementing with formula.