Tips for Siblings
Helping big brothers and sisters deal when their sibling is in NICU.
If your newborn has older brothers or sisters, those bigger kids are going to have a lot to get used to. Here are some tips and advice for helping siblings of a baby in the NICU.
- Make an effort to spend special time with older siblings as often as possible.
- Discuss the important parts of the baby’s care and routine with the siblings in terms they can easily understand.
- Involve brothers and sisters in coloring pictures for the baby’s bedside. Take photos of them for the baby. Put their photo up near the baby’s crib.
- You don’t need to make promises about when the baby might be coming home. Tell it like it is.
- Try to keep some of their routine the same.
- Give them extra time with Mom and Dad or a special family member.
- Have them be involved as much as possible with the baby.
- Talk to them. Give them as much info as they can handle even when the news isn’t good.