Our History

The Fremont Hospital was originally built in 1897 and was located at the corner of Fourth and Broad.

Original Building circa 1940

Methodist Fremont Health, in its current location at 450 East 23rd, was chartered in 1940 and was one of the only hospitals in Northeastern Nebraska. Then known as Dodge County Hospital, it had 50 beds and received its first patient on May 23, 1940.

Hospital Campus circa 1953

Names    

1940

Dodge County Hospital

1945

Dodge County Community Hospital

1971

Memorial Hospital of Dodge County

1996

Fremont Area Medical Center

2014

Fremont Health (Medical Center)

2018

Methodist Fremont Health

A brief history of Methodist Fremont Health

1940

Dodge County Hospital opens its doors

1945

The hospital becomes Dodge County Community Hospital

1947

An expansion results in the new North Wing

1960

The long-term care unit, known as the Chronic Disease Annex, is opened (now known as Dunklau Gardens)

1964

The hospital achieves Joint Commission accreditation

1971

The hospital becomes Memorial Hospital of Dodge County

1972

Extensive renovations begin that include a six-story tower and two new floors

1976

Pathfinder Hotel explosion in Fremont.  18 were killed.  50 injured patients were brought to the hospital

1976

Hospital Foundation is established

1981

5th floor is completed, adding 30 beds

1988

Outpatient Surgery area doubles in size

1990

50th Anniversary of the hospital

1991

Addition of 46 private rooms added to the long-term care unit, which was officially renamed A. J. Merrick Manor, after Dr. A. J. Merrick, a Fremont physician (now known as Dunklau Gardens)

1996

  • The Rehabilitation Center undergoes a $2.5 million renovation
  • The hospital becomes Fremont Area Medical Center
  • The Medical Center achieves accreditation as a Community Hospital Cancer Center

1997

Renovation occurs on the first floor with the relocation of Patient Accounts and the expansion of Cancer Services

1998

Construction/remodeling continues with plans for the redesign of the front lobby and the surgical areas to be completed by the year 2000

2000

Medical Center becomes one of the first hospitals in the state to offer newborn hearing screening tests

2002

  • The Medical Center is one of the first hospitals in eastern Nebraska to begin offering the BNP blood test to assist physicians in the diagnosis of congestive heart failure
  • Medical Center is actively involved in the coordination/formation and a member of the Three Rivers District Health Department board

2003

A 12,500-square-foot Emergency Department is added

2004

  • Medical Center receives the state Edgerton Quality Award, Progress level (1 of only 3 hospitals in the state at this level)
  • Medical Center becomes the first community hospital and one of only 4 hospitals in the state to offer robotic-assisted technology in surgery2007:  The Medical Center and campus goes tobacco free

2008

The Imaging Center opens

2009

The East Campus is renovated and a medical office building is added

2012

Fremont Surgical Group and Healthcare for Women join the Medical Center

2013

  • Fremont Medical Associates – Internal Medicine joins the Medical Center
  • The Medical Center introduces Fremont Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine
  • The Building a Healthy Future project is launched

2014

  • Medical Center acquires the Fremont Surgical Center
  • The Medical Center becomes Fremont Health

2018

Fremont Health partners with Methodist Health System to become Methodist Fremont Health