Studies show the mother-child bond is critical for Baby’s growth and development. Skin-to-skin is one of the best ways to learn about your baby and begin the important process of bonding with your newborn. The skin-to-skin contact allows the mother to receive communication cues that are important to breastfeeding.
- The best start for baby and parents is skin-to-skin, not just for breastfeeding and nutritional benefits, but also to SUPPORT baby’s brain development in the first eight weeks of life.
- In fact, breastfeeding benefits are 10 PERCENT NUTRITIONAL AND 90 PERCENT DEVELOPMENTAL thanks to the power of skin-to-skin contact.
- EITHER PARENT’S SKIN WILL DO: skin-to-skin provides a safe, warm place where the baby’s brain begins to make positive connections with its parents and the world.
- Give your child an HOUR OR MORE OF SKIN-TO-SKIN contact each day with either parent. This closeness is one of the BEST WAYS TO LEARN about your baby and develop a bond that will last a lifetime.
- Skin-to-skin also BENEFITS THE MOM it releases oxytocin a calming hormone that reduces depression.
- SKIN-TO-SKIN HELPS the child’s temperature, blood pressure, heart and respiratory rates maintain healthy balances.
- The ABC’s of skin-to-skin PARENTING BENEFITS:
- BETTER BONDING
- DECREASES ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION
- EMOTIONAL HEALING CAN OCCUR SOONER