Lymphedema is a condition in which swelling occurs because the lymphatic system is not functioning normally. The Lymphedema Program provides treatment by licensed physical and occupational therapists who have achieved certification as lymphedema specialists through intensive training. Lymphedema is diagnosed by a medical professional and patients can be referred to our clinic.
Individualized lymphedematreatment programs are developed for each patient. Treatment may include:
- Manual lymph drainage through massage
- Compression with bandages or compression garments (measurement and fitting included with treatment)
- Exercise program
- Precautions and skin care
- Patient education
- Continued follow-up and support
Your physician will provide a prescription that includes:
- Diagnosis: Lymphedema
- Physical and Occupational Therapy evaluation and treatment
- Necessary compression garments
Methodist Estabrook Cancer Center
8303 Dodge St.
Omaha, NE 68114